Monday, August 15, 2011

My Five BudgetGoth Tips

We aren't rich, we aren't poor, we are working class and there's nothing wrong with that.  I am a teenager who works around the yard and at my dad's shop and make no more than $7 a weekend plus the yard work which would be $5.
I love to read things about budget goth because it is very helpful.  But I have learned stuff of my own that helps a lot too.  I can't go out and buy a lot of the goth stuff online, it can be a lot and plus I don't know I feel too comfortable buying online yet, but I will get there.  Anyways, here we go.

  1. Buy T-shirts, plain T-shirts, any color you like.  I know a lot of the time JCPenny's has sales for plain T's, like buy one get one 50% off.  I understand not everyone is artistic, but go to Michaels (or Wally World) and buy fabric paint of the color(s) you want to make your own design/drawing on the plain T-shirt(s) you bought.  But be sure to try your art work on something else before your shirt because practice makes perfect!  Right?
  2. Everyone knows that thrift stores and Goodwill are good places to look, but never go into those places expecting to find something right away.  You might have to go back several times to find something you really like.  I happen to find my favorite shirt at Goodwill back in 2008.  The black shirt with the cross.  It lasted all that time and it was second hand!
  3. Boots.  I love boots, especially combat boots.  Now goth boots can be expensive, and brands such as Dr. Martins (which I love their boots!) and Demonia.  Some people can't go out and buy boots that cost a hundred dollars (even though you know you wish you could!).  Be practical.  Buy boots you can wear for lots of outfits and that work for everyday wear and that will last and you will not get tired of.  My mom bought me combat boots from JCPenny's at thirty something because they were half off.  I love them and they lasted over a year and would have longer if the zipper didn't break. 
  4. And of course DIY.  Anyone can do DIY, anyone people!  Pick up those scissors and get scissor happy.  Cut those leggings, cut up those jeans or that long or short sleeve shirt!  Wholly leggings look good with boots and skirt.  (I have only one skirt, which was actually shocking to me and my family since I hate skirts...but this one just... just fits. :)  )
  5. So you have an outfit pictured in your mind that you don't have but want because you can so see yourself wearing it.  Well, sometimes these things come slowly if you can't find what you want right away, so be patient, it really does work.  And if you never get it, maybe it was just meant to be.  Do with what you've got and make the best out of it. 

This isn't just for the gothling, but for whoever this helps if you have your own look.  Remember, make what you got work and be creative, but whatever(?).  I could so be a shopaholic, but I won't let myself go there because it's not something that could or would ever make me happy.  I want Joy.

Listening to: Fair - Disappearing World

Sincerely,
Angel of Darkness

2 comments:

Cameron Robinson said...

Great advice! I don't do much DYI besides a necklace or two. I think it would be a cool hobby to start though.

Buying boots from military stores is cheap too. :D
You can get a good pair for about 40 bucks.

Rose said...

Great post. I am just starting to get into a stage of my life where I have a bit more money for myself, but I still love getting things as cheaply as possible. I am a huge fan of DIY. I recently bought four plain t-shirts (black, grey, white, red) and decorated them so they looked like blouses. Simple things like puff sleeves, adding frills to the bottom, pin-tucks or lines of lace can make a simple shirt look really expensive without spending much (the other plus side is they have the comfort of a t-shirt but are much more dressed up, which suits my style).