Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Brush With Emo

Yeah!  My 50th psot!

      Okay, so about the age of thirteen I was looking into goth bands, going into it thinking bands like Evanescence, who I personally don't think it all that great for my taste in music, their okay.  I had come across the name Bauhaus a few times and Siouxsie and the Banshees but never payed much attention to them.  I checked around some with goth and couldn't decide if it was for me so I went to check out emo.

Google Images
BOO!  Got ya again.

I liked the emo look as well, for the most part, and thought it might be good to check out to see how well I liked this compared to goth.  First of all I found many websites all about real emo and that they had their own music too and they didn't just listen to music like Slipknot and the like, but had genres of music that started it all back in the early 1980s.  I found one site in particular that had a huge list of bands.  I went I tried quite a few out and ended up very much disliking them all, the music, emotive hardcore, annoyed me greatly.  Very much not my kind of music.  Not all did but none of the bands did I care much for.  So I later decided that if the music didn't suit me then I could be emo because I would be a *cough* poser, and I couldn't have that now could I.

So there it ended, even though I still rather have a liking for the style and have a couple of friends that like emo more than me and one that is.  And thus began my journey into the gothic subculture.  And actually I first heard the 69 Eyes as the first goth music I listened to and rather liked it (The 69 Eyes are a band I now like a lot) and then listen to The Sisters of Mercy, Buahaus, etc. and of course there are bands I found that I just don't like, but when I listened to such names mentioned above I didn't know what to think at first.  So different, so not like what I really ever heard.  But never didn't like it and now I love it! 

Google Images
I LOVE blue hair!  It's so pretty! 
Blue and purple look great together...
Have a great day!
Sincerely,
Angel of Darkness

2 comments:

Tenebris In Lux said...

The 69 Eyes were one of the first Goth bands I fell in love with, too :-)

Eh. Can't say I like emotive hardcore music. I know my father likes it .. to my own surprise (he likes metal). I thought it began in the mid-90s, but that might be the actual emo look?

DarkAngelCase said...

@Tenebris In Lux: Really, cool!

The emo look we know now started within the last ten or more years I think, but emo started in Washington DC around the same time as goth did in England. The look of emo was pretty different with the hairstyle being more from Spock on Star Trek. you can learn a lot from research...