Saturday, January 8, 2011

Being Christian is About Being an Outsider

Christianity is not a religion like most people think.  Religion is a bunch of rules and regulations that one follows.  Christianity is faith, something you choose to believe in and there are no rules or regulations.

Now, I mentioned some of this earlier, but not like now.

Well, being a Christian is all about being an outcast in the world right?  (Yes)  And that means not fitting in with the rest of society, being different, standing out because we follow a crazy idea that there is a Jesus and he died for us. . . But you know that.  I hear it preached about at church, to be different.  In fact there is a particular verse I would like to share with you: Romans 12:2 (NLT) "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think."

Society has an idea of how we must think and act (that "cookie cutter model") that I disagree with personally, I mean, not everyone can fit it, there is free will and not everyone likes all society has to offer in that "Package" of how we must be.

Okay, so then why am I and many others who are turely different inside and out not liked by other Christians.  Why is there a "cookie cutter model" for Christians when we come in so many differences meant to do different things for different purposes, etc.  I call that hypocrisy!  I don't dress like a Christian should, well how then is a Crhistian supposed to dress (besides modest which in fact I do)?  What does it matter if someone wears two different socks or has red hair or is a black-clad darkling, I'm pretty sure God doesn't care.

Say someone walks into a church.  Their dresses in combat boots, fishnet, and a trench coat with red, pruple and black hair, and let's say a few piercings.  This person was looking for a place where they could be accepted and wanted to check out Christianity.  But when this person walks into the church on a Sunday morning and everyone stares, looks away in disgust, eyes evily, or when (this person: Raven) goes to say hi how are you they turn away coldly.  No one sits by Raven and then suddenly is asked to leave, she decides that Christians are all fakes, and never comes back, and that church was not the only one.  Although there have been a few people who have been good to her.

I must ask why?  I really can't understand. 

Nothing like that has happened to me, but at my own church I have gotten thoughs stares I get everywhere else.  At youth group a lot of the kids that good there won't talk to me (prepy ones usually).  I have hear things say more than once at church or other Christian events (Aquire the Fire) that people like me (goth, emo, alternatives) are oh so lost and need help and don't know who we are or that we're all so deppressed and need to be led to Chirst.  Gee, if there are black-clad people out there that are lost and don't know Christ it can't possibly be that Christians are being judgemental. 

And also, just because someone dresses like that doesn't mean they're all lost and depressed.  There's me and some of my friends.  The way you dress does not determine what's on the inside (usually; most of the time).  And a downside, I'm an outsider in the world and in the Christian communitty.  Upside, God loves the freaks in black nail polish. =)  In fact He loves all of us freaks, because we really aren't like the rest of the world and it's "cookie cutter model".

I had to get that out!  I feel better now. 

The world threw me out because I was different, couldn't ever fit in, and didn't want to, so God took me in.  He took in an outcast, outsider, freak, someone society didn't and still doesn't want.  I am lucky.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

3 comments:

Outcast146 said...

You are an amazing person! You have no idea just how much you have blessed me with this post! You have so much inner strength and love for the Lord! I am so amazed by your forgiveness and respect for people!
keep up the good work! God is doing amazing things through you!
your not alone, or outcast anymore!
If you don't mind me saying,
It says in the bible that we are all sisters and brothers in the lord and so I am very proud to call you my sister in Christ! :)

DarkAngelCase said...

Well Outcast246, I am very flattered, and right back at you! =D

Amy Asphodel said...

I've tagged you with a Versatile Blogger's Award on my blog =)