Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tips on Shopping at Hot Topic

When I was first researching goth and it's fashion I came across many tips saying to saw away from Hot Topic.  I have only ever been in there now twice myself but have been on their website many times.  But I do have a few things to say about it.
First of, Hot Topic is not cheap at all and you could get the same stuff cheaper else where.  Second I don't like the idea that anyone can walk out with a whole gothy wardrobe, like the posers do.  Third, their really just a mainstream chain store like any other mainstream chain store but with a little different attire inside.  I don't know about you but I rather not buy a goth brand anything there, like Tripp.

                                                                      Google Images

But now not everyone wants to buy things online all the time.  So here are some tips on Hot Topic:

  • Treat it as any other mainstream chain store, like it is.  It's not something to avoid, after all a lot of the stuff in there isn't necessarily "goth", in fact I see a lot of skaters and emos go in there.
  • Don't buy too much of the goth brands such as Tripp from there just because it going to them so they can put more out.  I rather buy elsewhere.  And the reason I say too much is if you hate buying things online all the time and you live out where there are no actual gothy stores (like myself).
  • Accessories I think are fine to get there if you want.  But take note that if there is a Hot Topic there is bound to be a Claire's and Claire's from what I've seen is cheaper and has better stuff.

So there you have it, that is my opinion on shopping at Hot Topic, and a few tips.  This is for anyone who cares to read this.  And to be quite frank with you all I thought about doing this but instead put it off for some time thinking worrying if it would be any good writing this.  But I did and I'll I can say it" take it or leave it, in the nicest way possible.  Now that it's done, though, I feel much better. 


Sincerely,
Angel of Darkness

P.S.  I might have a hair post up soon depending on the way things go.  I was planning on buying some red dye and redying my hair myself, but all that is up to if my mom will take me to get some and if I have anytime to do it.

5 comments:

Tenebris In Lux said...

Hmmm. I actually heard some talk about Hot Topic "bringing it back to dark" again, even if it was never exclusively a "Goth store" to begin with. I'm interested to see how that turned out ..

Funny, most of the preps would go there to. They were all surprised that I didn't care about the Hot Topic closing in our mall. There actually were some nice "alt" clerks - I kinda felt bad for them. My friend was able to score a Nightmare Before Christmas shirt for me off a clearance -- how could I say no to that? :-) I also scored my Iron Fist shoes from the place (yeah, looking back .. ordering them somewhere else would have been cheaper!). I believe I once bought a studded belt there .. but it never lasted. hehe.

In general, I avoid chain places. I usually score good stuff cheaply at a garage sale. There's a charity thrift store that I visit often. Good stuff.

DarkAngelCase said...

I notice that a lot of preps shop there too! I personally have only been there a few times with some friends who like the store, but I really just don't like it. I can always fine better stuff else where, and it's usually cheaper.

Anonymous said...

Hot Topic imo is the "easy way" to Goth. Doesn't mean Goths should avoid it like the plague, right?

P.S. Can't wait for the hair post. Here's hoping your mom lets you. BTW, if you do it yourself and it turns out well, you should put up a post on how to dye your hair yourself. It'll be really useful.

Zaria said...

I dont like hot topic as far as to get a shirt in a plus size its $3 more then a SMorL. And when I want a band shirt I look in there but any bands I like have been kicked out by Justin Beiber, Twilight, Invader Zim (which is cute but not a shirt I would buy), Fred and Charlie the Unicorn stuff. I talked to a clerk once while shopping seeing if they had any evanescence shirts and he said sadly no they wont have any until a new album comes out which this was last year so it didn't look likely. To sum it up The only thing I would buy is accesories if they weren't grotesquely over-priced. I can buy stuff at claires or even rue 21 cheaper and I can make my own stuff. Thrift stores good will and needle and thread you can make nearly anything yourself for less expensive.

DarkAngelCase said...

@Anonymous: I will definitely do a post on how I do my ahir if I can. :)

@Zaria: Nothing at Hot Topic appeals to me either and they have way too much Twilight and Justin Beiber there for my liking. So I never shop there! I have friends that do though (not goth of course).