Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Stereotypes of Homeschoolers

With anything there is always good and bad stereotypes.  When these pertain to me personally than sometimes it's a little upsetting depending on what it is, and when it comes to being a homeschooler there are a couple common ones that bug me every now and again. 

Stereotypes surrounding homeschoolers:

  • Homeschoolers are antisocial because they are home all the time.  Not true at all.  I get this one the most with being asked about how I am not antisocial being home all the time.  Well, I really don't have too great an answer for that, I mean how can you be antisocial by being home?  It's not like we are shut up in our homes all the time and never go outside or anything.  In fact homeschoolers are very social (at least all the ones I am aware of which is a lot).  I mean to be honest, sure there are some of us who are home more than others but a lot of homeschoolers are not home a lot at all.  There's sports, gymnastics, dancing, co-ops, balls, field trips, get togethers, youth groups and what ever else.  Plus most have more than one brother or sister so even if they are home all the time you're not away from people.
  • Homeschoolers are behind in schooling.  I'd say the first is the most common, and this one is probably not as common but I've heard it more than once.  Actually while meeting a friend's dad he asked me what school I went to.  I told him I was homeschooled and he asked if I was way behind other kids my age school wise.  How rude is that!  He thought I was like in fourth grade even though I was 14 at the time.  That is not true at all!  Just because my mom is not able to be a teacher in a public school doesn't mean she can't teach me.  And this goes for any homeschool mom.  In fact being in high school now I do all my work independently because it is all geard towards the student, me.  It's not hard to figure out what I am reading, I mean really.  I am just where I need to be, and most homeschoolers I know are definitely not behind, but just at or above.  And the thing about homeschooling is that you can work to fit the individual, say like in reading level or skill.  Not everyone works the same way.
  • Homeschoolers are very smart and above public school kids.  This one isn't a bad one.  I found this to be sometimes true, but that's because you can go as fast as you want.  I knew a kid in my biology class who was the youngest out of all of us, eighth grade, and he was like the smartest kid there, while the rest of is were ninth and tenth graders.  It all depends on the curriculum and the individual.
  • Homeschoolers are well behaved.  This is pretty much true.  You can usually see a difference between someone that is homeschooled and someone who goes to public school in behavior, like manners and politeness towards parents and such.  But hey, I am not bashing on any public school kids, there's nothing wrong with going to school, and most of my friends are public school kids, so PLEASE do not take offence.
  • Homeschoolers get to sleep in and stay in their pajamas.  Sorry, that one is not really true at all.  Maybe not all of us have to get up as early, and sure we can be in sweats if we aren't going anywhere, but school work isn't going to get done all by its self, someone has to do it.  My mom makes us get us and get dressed and ready for the day, but we can still be in sweats if we want.  I hate sweats, and I hate doing school late into the afternoon.

While there is more I'm sure, the first two I mention bug me, and I hate that people think that, but all well.  The last two don't bug me, but I just put them in there because I never said I was only mentioning the bad stereotypes. 

I love being homeschooled and would have it no other way, and have known no other way, and going to public school really doesn't seem too appealing to me.  It's not the being around kids most of the day or going to a school instead of being home, but of other things.  I have heard lots of stuff about school and it's never good stuff.  Drugs, smoking, bullying, etc.  But I truly can't say anything for myself about it having never been. 


Sincerely,
Angel of Darkness

Listening to: Owl City - Galaxies

P.S. You get strawberry milk by feeding a cow strawberries.

8 comments:

Nowhere Man said...

I moved around a lot as a kid so I was home schooled for a bit. I didn't have a problem with it (I kinda liked going to school in sweats). There is something to be said for public schooling in that it is less sheltered. Bullying, etc. is a part of life and the sooner you are able to deal with it the better prepared you will be when you enter the real world, but that's just my take on it. I grew up in rough neighborhoods so obviously it was necessary to develop survival instincts early on. That's just my case, though. At any rate, I think homeschooling is great and if it makes you happy then who cares what other people think about it. People will make stereotypes about anything. They're called haters.

Anonymous said...

I'm homeschooled as well, and Yes, pretty much all of these are false. Except for the one about politeness. Probably though because most of the homeschooled kids I know are very religious, so that probably has something to do with it(no offense to anyone, I'm not saying that non-religious people are rude I know a lot of kids who don't go to church and they are politer than I am no kidding). I think that the whole 'Homeschooled kids are geniuses' comes from the fact that people in public school have just one curriculum, and they all have to follow that one, and for some children that curriculum doesn't work for them, while in homeschooling your parents(in this case my mother) helps us decide which books and online learning sites best fit our needs.

rawr said...

I have a lot of friends who are homescooled. So I know this stuff isn't very true lol.

Draconian_Dream said...

Cool post!
As a home schooler,I've had to face many of these stupid stereotypes.....(emphasis "stupid".)

melotrauma said...

I know a bunch of kids who are home schooled, and honestly, they seem more well-rounded than the average school-going kid, by way of sports and stuff, and they're not withdrawn from society at all. In fact, they're the most energetic, enthusiastic, friendly people in the youth group we go to.

That might be just their personality and nothing to do with their type of schooling, but I don't think it's a coincidence, because I know like four different people who are like that.

I'm not home-schooled, but for a long time, I wished I was. Just curious, how structured is your school time at home? Is it like a set number of hours you have to work on, and do you get to choose some subjects? How do you get the resource material? (I'm inquisitive, sorry; I like knowing things.)

All in all, this was a cool post, because we get to hear it from someone who's home-schooled herself.

P.S. Let's feed cows chocolate, then, but I don't think it'll be too good for the cows ._.

DarkAngelCase said...

@melotrauma - I don't mind answering questions. ^-^ I'd say that yes, it's pretty structured, I usually do school form 8:30-2 o 4. I do get to choose subjects for the most part. And there are online and actual stores you can go to that have homeschool curriculums to buy and other stuff for homeschoolers. I hope that answered all your questions. :)

melotrauma said...

@DarkAngelCase-

Gosh, that sounds cool. o_o Which subjects do you take?

DarkAngelCase said...

@melotrauma - Sorry about getting back to you so late.
I take Gov/U.S. History, Geometry, American Lit, Chemistry, logic, and Latin.