Monday, July 11, 2011

Is It Okay For A Goth To Listen To Non-Gothy Music?

So, is it okay for a goth to listen to non-gothy music?  Sure.  But what if you listen to lots more non-goth music than goth music.  Is that okay?  And what if the list of non-goth bands is bigger than the list of goth bands?  I would like to hear what you think.

Google Images
Bauhaus, I love them!

Yes I think it's fine.  You see, when I was first getting to know about goth I thought that I would end up looking like (you know...) a poser, and that maybe I didn't belong here either.  But after a while I realized that that was just not true.  It's all about being yourself.  I love Bauhaus, Siouxie and the Banshees, The Cure, and Skeletal Family (off the top of my mind), plus certain songs from Switchblade Symphony, Emilie Autumn, The Damned, Bella Morte, Ashbury Heights, etc.  Each in a different genera, or similar. 
But see, I can name so many other bands that are not goth at all that I love too, and in all different or similar genera of music.  Like I just love to listen to pop-punk, like Stellar Kart, Hawk Nelson, and FM Static.  I mean who likes just on genera of music, really?

Google Images
This is Stellar Kart, one of my fav bands. <3

A lot of these bands I listen to are either Christian and/or goth, with a little bit of other stuff.  A couple of songs I like happen to be Christian rap/hip hop, and I hate that stuff (but there is always and exception).  A lot of the bands I listen to that are not goth at all are ones I've listened to for a long time and I just can never stop listening to them.  And lately I can't get enough of Skellar Kart's song "All My Heart", Loftland's song "Animosity", or Creature Feature period.  See that?  All three kinds of different music right there.

So I think it's perfectly fine if someone listens to other music even if it is more than they do their beloved goth bands at times.  I listen to the music that suits me at the moment, that gets stuck in my head (like last week The Art Of Suicide by Emilie Autumn), what catches my ear, mood, and emotions.  Lots of people do.

So if your new or a babybat (like I was recently, and sometimes still am) just listen to they music that makes you happy, no matter what.  After all my two top favorite bands ever are Thousand Foot Krutch (rock/alternative) and The Birthday Massacre (new wave/rock/industrial).






My two favorite bands ever!  TKF on the left and TBM on the bottom.

Listening to: Stellar Kart - All My Heart
I'm in the mood for something like this:  "Jesus your my Saviour there is no one else like you, you have all my heart..." (The lyrics).


Sincerely,
Angel of Darkness

3 comments:

Tenebris In Lux said...

It was non-Goth music that got me into Goth music. Not pop or country or hip hop, but metal. And I am still a dedicated metalhead at heart :-)

See, I actually like some Christian metal (I am not a Christian, but I do have a respect for the religion). I especially love the band Tourniquet and I just found out about Demon Hunter .. which I'm finding very much to my liking!

Ah, I haven't listened to The Birthday Massacre in ages, and I'm getting into Emilie Autumn at the moment.

Cameron Robinson said...

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with having more non-goth music than goth music. There are bullies in every sub-culture though that will try to tell you otherwise. But the reason we all joined this subculture was to express ourselves in the way we see fit right? I just wrote a post about the music I can't stop listening to and most of it is non-goth. Just being yourself is good enough.

Dark Fantomzy said...

I totally agree with what everyone's posted! I do love a nice amount of non-goth music, and I don't think it's going to hurt anyone's "cred" to admit that.

PS: I love TBM and "The Art of Suicide" is one of my fave songs...and Creature Feature is pretty awesome :)

God bless!