Sunday, November 6, 2011

There is No Such Thing As Normal

Well, it's true, there's not.  The only normal that does exist is the normal that you are, and what I mean by that is that we all have "the way we normally are" and when we start to act out of that is when we are not being our normal selves, how we usually are.  If that made sense.  There is no "normal" like society has in its head that everyone is, or should, be a certain way, and that's just not the case. 

Google Images

So like I mentioned before, there is nothing wrong with being you but we all fear rejection and that can sometimes hold us back.  Well, think of this for a moment: God, who created everything you see around you, the air you breathe, the sunlight, well He also created you.  And so if He created you, then is it not a sin to not be who He made you to be.  He laid out everything about you, He knew it all before you were even thought of, so  by being you, you honor Him, right?  There is a Bible verse, a Psalms, that I have in a page at the top of my blog, Psalm 139.  It says that God kit you together in the dark of the womb and that He has laid your life out, He being the author of your life.  Cool, right? 

Being you can't be so bad if that's the way you are made to be.  You like the dark and spooky?  Nothing wrong with that, because if it is natural to you and does not harm you then maybe that is just the way you were made to be, maybe that is your normal. 

One thing that bothers me is when I hear others who don't fit in with the mainstream put down those who, well, do (in a way), those who we consider "normal" people, like the preppy kids.  Just because you decided to be, say, Goth, and that others who are not treat you wrong does not mean you need to do the same and judge them wrongly, because after all if you never judge the minority for the majority, it works the other way around too.  Actually now that I brought it up, preppy kids never usually bother me any, like I always seem to hear.  In fact one of my best friends is a prep, and he is really nice, actually, they all are, (my preppy friends).

It's funny thinking back now on when I first "looked up" goth, I thought that those "normal" kids I hung around a bit would not like me anymore at all.  I found out later that that was not true, in fact being myself has gotten me some really great friends that I had never had before.  I didn't loose any friends either when I was a babybat and getting into goth, not for that reason anyways, but moving.  I seem to have made more friends this way, more than I have had in a long time which is more than two.  And none of them care how I dress or that my hair is red, in fact they like it. 

So babybats, and anyone else out there, just know that by being you, you may actually end up making some awesome friends, and maybe even some unexpected ones too.  Just be the normal you, not the "normal" that society thinks everyone should be, or is.  There is not such thing as normal.  And I can never fit it and never will.


Listening to: This Beautiful Republic - Pain

Sincerely,
Angel of Darkness

5 comments:

Nowhere Man said...

Anyone who stops being your friend because you are being yourself is not your real friend, so you are probably better off without them anyways. Keep being you. Cheers.

Nanna said...

Nowhere Man is toatally right. A real friend will not leave you because you're being yourself. Because they aren't friends, they are (fiends) liars. And the other good thing to being yourself is: you will discover who are your friend or aren't your friend. Who are at your side or who aren't at your side. (Personal experience)

Cameron Robinson said...

Agreed with the two above. Being yourself is the way to go!

Gabriel Sigma said...

Being yourself is being strong and courageous. Those are much better values than trying to "fit in".
Cheers!

Dark Fantomzy said...

Absolutely agree with the others. It's more important to be true to yourself and be alone than to have friends and lose sight in who you are.

I also don't like when those who don't fit in with mainstream say "all preps are...." because they have probably been stereotyped or ridiculed for expressing themselves. It's probably a self-defense mechanism to make themselves feel better when they feel hurt...I admit that I used to use this tactic >-> Doesn't work.

It's very silly, we shouldn't let our prejudices cloud or perceptions of thinking.

But I loved this post and yes, be who you are because there IS no such thing as "normal".

God Bless <3