Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Finding Your Goth Style

Yep, life gets crazy.  I've been so busy, but not anything fun too much, which needs to be fixed some how... But here is my new blog post that I have been working on writing here lately when I have the time.

So, there are many different fashion styles within the Gothic subculture, and if you're like me it can be tricky finding one, or even some, that fit you and that you like the best.  I know that I like many different styles for there aesthetic but would probably never wear the actual style because it just doesn't fit me, personally.  And of course you don't just have to pick a style and stick to it, and there are no rules saying that you can't mix and match.

No sure where I found this, I think it was at
WeHeartIt
The point is to express yourself the way that you want to, but that's not always easy, for anyone, because you either don't quite know how you want to do that or you are afraid to. 

The best thing to do first is look at all your options, you know, like all of the styles out there that appeal to you best.  Keep all of them in mind and pick out what you like best about the styles you choose, and maybe you just liked it because it looked nice and don't have a specific part you like most about it, that's fine too.

When you go out looking for cloths to add to your wardrobe don't limit yourself, like thinking you can only get it if it's black.  And not every goth fashion has black, sometimes it's just a little bit, even no black, like Steampunk for example.  You have to ask what colors you like best to wear, like maybe your favorite color(s), unless you like any color.  For me black is the one color I feel most comfortable in and could so wear all black almost all of the time, almost.  I like my purple, blue, red, and green whether it be just a touch or almost the main color (usually just an accent of color).

Then you need to know what kind of clothes you like to wear best, and don't like to wear, because I've learned from experience that if you buy something you better be sure you really like it and will wear it, regardless of how cute or cool it looks.  Is it really you?  Like a dress, if you never wear dresses and don't like them, don't get one unless you can stand wearing it more than once and more than only part of the day before you have to take it off (yeah, that would be me).  I prefer pants and sometimes a skirt, if it's the right one.  The same thing goes for when you're picking out a coat/jacket.  Do you like a hoodie or a Victorian style trench coat? 
Google Images

 
And remember, what looks good on someone else may not look the same on you, or give you that same look.  Or it may look good on you but you don't like it so much when it's on you.  Experiment with it, have fun. 

,Also, look at the accessories, pendants, and it doesn't just have to be skulls and crosses/crucifixes, they can be anything.  Along side skulls and crucifixes, other more common ones would be bats, spiders, and spider webs, but it could even be butterflies, dragonflies, bird cages, hearts, keys, etc. 

Remember, you don't fit into goth, it fits onto you.  You make it look the was you want. 




And one of TBM's awesome songs that is stuck in my head, Forever.


Sincerely,
Angel of Darkness

P.S. I won't be away so long next time. ;)

1 comment:

Jemcycle said...

Very good suggestions! I've gotten some clothing items before that I didn't really like, but got them because my sister was like "You should get this, it'll look good on you." They've been sitting in my closet, hardly worn. :/